Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Apple iTunes 8 - Sorting by Album and Track #

Has any one of you (who owns an Apple product) have had frustrations with sorting of the music library in iTunes? I have! Today I was just trying to sort the music by albums and then by track #. Why? I’ve been syncing my music with my iPhone and recently noticed that not all songs within the albums are in track # order. This is so annoying since if you’re listening to those dance/house type music they need to be in order so it flows through.

So first in iTunes, I thought yep this would be easy. Select on the Album header and then by Track # header. That should sort all music in my music library by Albums and then by Track #. Not the case. After a little googling I tried some of the solutions posted. None had worked. Some albums were in perfect order and some are just all out of whack! I thought WTF!

After 30 mins of playing around with iTunes this is the solution I found that worked 100% of the time.

Steps:
1. Goto your music library and select all audio tracks or just the tracks you want to change. CTRL+A on track will select everything.
2. Right click on your mouse and select “Get Info”. CTRL+I will also do the same operation. This should bring up Multiple Item Information window.
3. Be careful with this as this could potentially overwrite your ID tagging!!!
4. In the Info tab, select the checkbox next to Album Artist and make sure the Album Artist textbox is empty.
5. Next goto the Sorting tab, and select the checkbox next to the Sort Album Artist and vice versa make sure the Sorting Album Artist textbox is empty.
6. Now select the OK button and it should start processing.

Once done, while you’re still in the music library, select the Album header and make sure the Album header is displaying just Album and not Album by Artists or Album by Year. You will now notice that your tracks within your albums are now in order! Problem Solved!

Note: By default when you import new folders, your ordering will be out of whack. Just follow the steps above to remove the Album Artist and Sorting Album Artist fields and it will be back to normal order.

Post a Comment