Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Seagate 7200.11 Disaster

For those out there who has a Seagate 7200.11 drive, be warned that you may have a faulty Hard Drive firmware loaded and that it may only last ranging from a few days to at most a few months before it dies. If you recall from my earlier post “The Importance of Backup”, I mentioned that it is important to have a process of backing up contents that’s on your Hard Drive because no matter how old or new the drive is, it may fail on you one day and you would have lost all of the data that’s contained in it.

On that one day I turned on my computer, the drive stopped working. I thought the drive was completely toasted. I was told that something could have gotten stuck within the drive and one of fixing that is to put it into the freezer to cool the drive hopefully to release whatever that locked it up in the first place. Well… I didn’t do that. I just packed up the drive and left it sitting in the corner until I can find a solution.

Recently there has been quite a few postings regarding this Seagate Hard Drives and how everyone who’s bought one of the 7200.11 series is plagued with the same issue. Everybody was turning their heads to Seagate for a solution… a working solution.

Seagate responded by releasing a new firmware for the drive which then you could run the update yourself and get your drive working. Well that’s not the case. The problem was that it wouldn’t update the drive. In some cases if it did update, it would “brick” the drive render it useless. It seems like Seagate haven’t been doing enough testing on their firmware before releasing it. Kinda feels like they are letting us beta test their release or put it in another manner, practicing the Microsoft methodology. Release first before releasing Service Packs to fix the issues. :)

All in all I think everyone is getting pretty tired of this. They’ve just released another firmware to hopefully fix the drive issues. You can get the latest firmware here or from their official site in the event that the firmware (affects only ST3750330AS, ST3750630AS and ST31000340AS with SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19 firmware) gets recalled for whatever reason. This is the 3rd revision of the firmware they've released. If you have any other models I recommend you check out Seagate’s website first.

Also for those who’s drives are already dead and are electronically savvy enough, you can check out this website for the hardcore solution. I have to stress that I take no responsibility if you kill your drive by trying out the hardcore solution! It does say that the guide is not intended for inexperienced users!

Needless to say, I’m going to try out the hardcore solution if the latest firmware doesn’t work. I’ve already ordered the necessary parts and a new Western Digital WD1001FALS 1.0TB Hard Drive to copy all the data to if it works. I won't be purchasing any Seagate drives any longer.

Post a Comment