Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Importance of Backup

A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune of having my media drive died on me. It was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1-TB Hard Drive, model ST31000340AS. It had contained all of my photos ever taken since June 2007 and all my MP3s, videos etc. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

I’ve only had the Terabyte drive for 3 months and had bought it brand new when I went back to New Zealand to sort out some other stuff. I have always been a big fan of Seagate products with all of my computers (desktops, laptops and portable devices) I make sure they are all Seagate Inside. I even recommend the brand to others. I have never expected a brand new drive die on me so soon. All of my older drives ranging from the P-ATA drives to the SATA 1.5Gb/s drives are still working and they are more than 4 years old.

I not that keen on paying the extravagant amount of money to someone else to recover the data for me. I read somewhere that you may be able to recover some parts of the data by freezing the drive... But I’m not too sure or even ready for that. I guess nothing to lose. I’ve already lost big time by not backing up!

Anyway... Important lesson... If you have anything important data stored on a Hard Drive, no matter how new or old or whatever, you should always make a backup of it either to another drive or CDs or DVDs. Something I should have adhered to in the first place. :(

Post a Comment